[Discuss] Debian Buster is the worst desktop OS

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Thu Jun 4 09:30:07 EDT 2020

Grant Mongardi wrote:
> > Tell us what you actually did, please
> For the reboot I went to "Applications->System Tools->Software Install" and
> selected the "Updates" tab, It showed only the Firefox update so I
> installed it. It did say "Install and Restart" but I assumed it just meant
> restart Firefox. I was wrong.

"sudo apt install apticron" and the system will send you mail whenever
you have packages to upgrade. "sudo apt upgrade" and the upgrades will be
done. No reboots will be performed automatically. Add "sudo apt install
needrestart" and the upgrade process will also tell you if it thinks
that you *should* reboot the machine, or any long running processes.

> > What's a toolbox?
> It's a sort of notifications panel that certain apps can minimize to so
> that they aren't on the toolbar. Applications like Slack, Reminna RDP, and
> others will minimize to an icon that in Cinnamon would show in the bottom
> right of the toolbar next to the powerbutton and date panel.

Oh, an iconbox. GNOME doesn't do that.

Maybe you'd like to go back to Cinnamon?
"sudo apt install task-cinnamon-desktop"

> > You're making lots of complaints about GNOME as though it were
> > the operating system. It isn't.
> It is the default desktop for Debian buster. It wasn't in Debian stretch.
> So no, it's not the OS, but it is the distribution. So yes, I'm complaining
> about Debian buster, the release, not specifically the OS.

No, sorry, Debian isn't tied to the desktop, and nobody on debian-users
will tell you that you really ought to be using GNOME because it's the
default. It's just the one that gets selected for people who don't have a
preference. You have a preference. Go install cinnamon and be happy again.

Incidentally, you should subscribe to debian-users. Lots of help
there.

-dsr-