[Discuss] Debian Buster is the worst desktop OS

Grant Mongardi gmongardi at napc.com
Thu Jun 4 10:10:03 EDT 2020

All of this is fine, except the last part. The installer doesn't offer you
a list of desktops to install, it just installs GNOME by default, so I
would call that "tied to the desktop". And given that Cinnamon was the
default desktop for the prior release I'm not sure why you would make that
drastic a change to the default behavior. Whatever the Debian folks decide
is the default for their installer is the default experience that every
user is going to experience out-of-the-box, so you would think they'd
_want_ to make that experience pleasant and not, well, whatever this is.
I'd call it wholly unpleasant, but that's just me.

But fine, if I have to:
   * Replace the desktop.
   * Replace the software installer/updater (using the command-line
tools?!?!)
   * Add additional optional packages
just to get a usable desktop from a distribution, well then so be it. But I
have to say that really doesn't encourage new desktop users to adopt it.

Thanks,
Grant M.

--

Grant Mongardi