[Discuss] Debian Buster is the worst desktop OS

Grant Mongardi gmongardi at napc.com
Thu Jun 4 14:22:50 EDT 2020

No, _this_ machine was Linux Mint (the one I updated). The one I use at
work is Debian Stretch (v9) which is using Cinnamon, by default. I have
used the DVD I originally downloaded and installed it on 2 other VMs at
work, and although there are some features I installed afterwards it is
basically the same (meaning all Cinnamon). I didn't manually select
Cinnamon at all, and in fact had to go look to see what it was exactly when
folks asked.

It did turn out it was a notification. It was such a horrible sound I
assumed it was a bug.

So just to be clear, I did actually do what I said I did. The installer
never prompted for which desktop I wanted to use, and in this particular
case the version of GNOME is just terrible.

Just to be clear, here is just one of the many horrible ideas that they
have in this version.If I want to select a file for something, this is what
the window looks like:
https://i.imgur.com/u0tFOSW.png

Who puts the buttons at the top? And worse, the "open" button is on one
side and the "cancel" is on the other. No other desktop does this that I'm
aware of. This is just truly bad ergonomics.

Thanks all, but I'm done. I'm using my Mac to write this by the way until I
can get my desktop into a usable state.

Grant M.

--

Grant Mongardi