[Discuss] Password managers

Bill Cattey wdc at mit.edu
Wed May 6 13:57:57 EDT 2020

I use KeePass as a password generator and safe.  It has Mac, Linux,
Android, iOS ports that I have used. Specifically I use the KeePassXC
port on my Linux laptops and Mac desktop, MiniKeePass on my iPad and
KeePassDroid on my Android Phone. KeePass itself is Windows only. I've
not actually run that port.  Below I talk about "KeePass" as a generic
across all ports.

* It is a "keep passwords in a database encrypted with a master
password" approach.  The db is local to your device.  You copy it around
by hand, or you keep it somewhere in the cloud where you download it to
your device.

* KeePass is open source so you can validate what it's doing.

* It enables you to manage passwords by category.  You can also keep
additional information.  For example, as mentioned by others on this
list, your "Secret Questions" should be stuff you make up for every
site, not true facts that enable the bad guys an easier time stealing
your identity. KeePass lets you manage that stuff too.

* It offers you lots of options for generating passwords.

Looking at the Android Play Store, I see that KeePassDroid isn't there
any more.
And now I see that I have both KeePassDroid and Keepass2Android on my phone.
I actually think I was supposed to start using the latter. (There was a
v2 database with improvements.)

Looking at the Apple App Store, I see that MiniKeePass is still there,
and that there's an App called "KeePass" that reviewers say "Isn't the
real KeePass."  :-(

One final point:

I manage my KeePass database BY HAND.  The master DB is on my Mac
desktop, and I connect my phone or my iPad or do scp from another
desktop.  I don't trust the cloud to hold my password file, but I
recognize that lack of trust is emotional not fact-based.

Hope this contributes to the discussion of different approaches.

-Bill Cattey