[Discuss] Please help with a question about Bash timeout intervals

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Fri Oct 2 19:00:17 EDT 2020

On 10/2/20 3:44 PM, E. William Horne wrote:
> The work requires frequent visits to various web sites, and searches
> to obtain more information. Because of that, I often find that my ssh
> session has timed out, and that I must login again to continue working.
>
> Please tell me about the timeout intervals which are customary in
> Ubuntu Linux, in Bash, and in ssh: I need to extend them.

Not an answer to your question, but a suggestion, and you might already
be doing this: use "screen" and you can at least resume your previous
session and pick up where you left off.

It has a bunch of features but the minimal you need to learn to fire it
up and reconnect when disconnected isn't too bad...

-kb