[Discuss] Please help with a question about Bash timeout intervals

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Oct 2 18:52:57 EDT 2020

On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 06:44:31PM -0400, E. William Horne wrote:
> Thanks for reading this.
>
> I am (still) the Moderator of The Telecom Digest.
> <http://telecom-digest.org/> I use a virtual server at M.I.T., to evaluate
> and approve posts for the Digest.
>
> The work requires frequent visits to various web sites, and searches to
> obtain more information. Because of that, I often find that my ssh session
> has timed out, and that I must login again to continue working.
>
> Please tell me about the timeout intervals which are customary in Ubuntu
> Linux, in Bash, and in ssh: I need to extend them.

Of that list, most probably only ssh is relevant.  However it's
probably more likely that your session is being timed out by a
firewall in between you and them, in which case it is unlikely you can
do much of anything about it.

As for ssh, check the man page for ssh_config, and search that for
configuration keywords that contain "alive"... there are many several
such settings, and any of them potentially may help.  IIRC a few of
those may have complementary settings which their entries should
mention/explain.

-=-=-=-=-