[Discuss] OT - Mail Server Speeds

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sat Oct 3 08:16:42 EDT 2020

epp at mcom.com wrote:

> I'm noticing the slow speeds all the time: morning, afternoon, evening.
> I just pinged the IMAP server and the times looked fine:
>
> 5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4006ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 29.040/31.235/34.016/1.839 ms

Ping responses are handled by the kernel at such a low level
that I've had machines respond to ping that were otherwise
completely locked up. It's not a good diagnostic for load
levels.

On the other hand, the timing of an IMAP login is probably a
good early diagnostic measure. Script up an expect script
around

openssl s_client -connect imap.verizon.com:993

-dsr-