[Discuss] Chrome-based browsers crash at Zoom

epp at mcom.com epp at mcom.com
Wed Oct 7 16:44:50 EDT 2020

Google Chrome, Chromium-Freeworld (from RPM Fusion) and Chromium
(Fedora-supplied) all crash when attempting to join a Zoom meeting, or
to start a test meeting. The test meeting URL is https://zoom.us/test

The meeting page will load in, there will be hard drive activity
(possibly creating the crash dump), then the 'Aw Snap!' page will
eventually appear with either an error code 256, or a SIGILL error. The
Fedora ABRT software will not report the crash/open a bug report for
their Chromium package, since it claims the backtrace has 'low
informational value'. There is a Zoom extension at the Chrome Web Store,
however it will not install, displaying a box that WebGL is not
supported. But https://get.webgl.org displays the browser supports WebGL
and a spinning cube.

This occurs on two different systems. Not sure if it's video-related,
one has an on-board NVIDIA chip, the other an AMD Radeon and on each,
256Mb of RAM is allocated for video. Is 256Mb enough?

Since this occurs on two systems, I'm leaning towards it being a browser
issue, not video. The test meetings that I attempted to open contained
no local video, just audio.

There are no crashes at any other web site, just Zoom.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.