[Discuss] Rsync "one file system"

jbk jbk at kjkelra.com
Sat Oct 24 16:00:46 EDT 2020

On 10/24/20 12:51 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> jbk wrote:
>> I was cloning a fedora31 system to another partition using rsync using the
>> -x option to restrict decent to one file system, at least that was what I
>> thought, but the contents below the mount point were copied anyway.
>>
>> rsync -ax bin boot data (<- mounted to separate partition) ... <destination>
>>
>> So what am I not understanding?
> Did it look like this?
> /dev/sdd1 on / type blah blah
> /dev/sdd2 on /data type blah blah
>
> or like this?
>
> /dev/sdd1 on / type blah blah
> /dev/sdd3 on /data/thingy type blah blah
>
> rsync -x includes anything you explicitly mention (so, all
> subdirectories of the top situation) and excludes filesystems
> mounted underneath what you mention (so, not /data/thingy in the
> bottom situation).
>
> -dsr-

So data is a mount point in character with the first
example, it is not a bind mount. I understand that by using
the "-a" option that recursion is implied but if I added
"-x" that it would skip recursion into normal mount points.

> /rsync -x includes anything you explicitly mention (so,
> all subdirectories of the top situation) and excludes
> filesystems mounted underneath what you mention (so, not
> /data/thingy in the bottom situation)./
So if I'm understanding this, if there were a mount point
/backups below /data such as /data/backups then /backups
would not be recursed because it was not part of the top
level listing in the command.

--
Jim Kelly-Rand
jbk at kjkelra.com