[Discuss] Rsync "one file system"

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sat Oct 24 12:51:41 EDT 2020

jbk wrote:
> I was cloning a fedora31 system to another partition using rsync using the
> -x option to restrict decent to one file system, at least that was what I
> thought, but the contents below the mount point were copied anyway.
>
> rsync -ax bin boot data (<- mounted to separate partition) ... <destination>
>
> So what am I not understanding?

Did it look like this?
/dev/sdd1 on / type blah blah
/dev/sdd2 on /data type blah blah

or like this?

/dev/sdd1 on / type blah blah
/dev/sdd3 on /data/thingy type blah blah

rsync -x includes anything you explicitly mention (so, all
subdirectories of the top situation) and excludes filesystems
mounted underneath what you mention (so, not /data/thingy in the
bottom situation).

-dsr-