[Discuss] mobile phone preference question

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 01:14:21 EST 2021

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 8:02 PM Eric Chadbourne <eric.chadbourne at icloud.com>
wrote:

> Anybody here use a mobile phone as a daily driver that is not iOS or
> Android?  If yes, what do you think?

I like having a phone that's a phone, camera that's a camera, and a tablet
that is a tablet, each with its own battery so when one is used up they
don't all fail.
So i'm still using a flip phone.
T-Mobile's 4GLTE CoolPad is sold under other names elsewhere, it may well
be Alcatel inside. It is capable of sharing its Internet (tethering) either
as a HotSpot or USB.

(I also have a WAP hotspot, so that the phone isn't running down its
battery in hotspot mode.)

Alas i'm finding it's getting hard to find Android tablets that have
GPS/SATNAV and don't have cellphone chip.
My next tablet upgrade may have to be one with a SIM slot that I don't put
a SIM into.

(OTOH I am finding Google Maps' live traffic is quite helpful, so while the
GPS is in logging mode, i'm using the Android tablet with mag-mount for
navigation -- as a self-orienting map, often muting the talking lady except
for exceptional notices. And the best camera is the one you always have
with you. I'll take a picture with a tablet if i don't have even my
smallest EVIL MILC with.)