[Discuss] Debian resolv.conf

epp at mcom.com epp at mcom.com
Fri Jan 1 12:47:33 EST 2021

On 1/1/21 10:44 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I don't think you need to reinstall. Just concentrate on the network
> issue first by using the network manager GUI. Essentially if you
> toggle the network, dhcp should update resolv.conf. Make sure you get
> the correct ip address (from the details tab). Let's see if this fixes
> the issue then concentrate on thunderbird.

I've already reinstalled it, using the text-based version of the installer.

resolv.conf is now correctly showing the domain, search and nameserver
(as IPv4) entries (as every Linux distro I've used in the past has
done), Firefox now fully passes the same IPv6 test and Thunderbird now
connects to Comcast's IMAP/SMTP servers, leaving IPv6 enabled in the config.

The Debian LXQt installer does not provide a GUI for Network Manager for
some reason, it wasn't on any of the menus, nor did a network icon
appear in the taskbar. Although there is a network-related item in the
LXQt configuration screen, it simply displayed the IP address
information as previously described, nothing else.

As to why the graphical installer does not prompt for the Internet
domain, nor ask for a root password, that is probably above most pay grades.

Regarding Thunderbird, there is an old thread on the Comcast support
forums about this, in that when an attempt was made to add an account,
Thunderbird could not get the settings information from the server. Once
IPv6 was disabled (I believe the thread pertained to Windows.), it then
retrieved the settings successfully.

It should be fine now.

Thanks for the input.