[Discuss] Abolish DST (was This year's Beowulf Bash is not for the lily-livered)

jc at trillian.mit.edu jc at trillian.mit.edu
Mon Nov 22 13:36:58 EST 2021

| John Abreau <jabr at blu.org> wrote:
|
| > I look at Daylight Savings as a bizarre custom, one of a multitude of
| > similar customs, that can be mildly annoying but is trivially easy to
| > cope with, Heated efforts to repeal Daylight Savings strike me as
| > being about as silly and pointless as trying to outlaw Santa Claus
| > and the Tooth Fairy. Just doesn't seem like a hill worth dying for.

Some time back, I saw  a  fun  discussion  started  with  one  person
arguing  for  year-round  EDT in New Enland, followed by someone else
suggesting that instead, New England should switch to AST.   The  fun
part was the quick realization that a lot of people didn't understand
the difference, and got into rather nasty fights calling  each  other
all sorts of insulting names.

Since then I've often thought that this is a really good way to  mess
up  such  discussions,  and  we  should all be trying it whenever the
topic comes up.  ;-)

   _'
 <:#/>  John Chambers
   +   <jc at trillian.mit.edu>