[Discuss] Abolish DST (was This year's Beowulf Bash is not for the lily-livered)

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Tue Nov 23 16:37:53 EST 2021

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 08:04:47AM -0800, Kent Borg wrote:
> On 11/22/21 7:15 AM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> > So yeah, abolishing DST isn't just a silly windmill tilting exercise,
> > IMO.
>
> My gripe with the abolitionists is that our ranks are infiltrated with a
> fifth-column: people aren't trying to abolish DST, they are trying to make
> DST permanent, year around.

I don't think that's normal for most of the world, I think it's mostly
just in the New England states.  So long as the business world insists
on keeping fixed hours, we're probably in the wrong time zone.  Having
sunset at 4:30pm is pretty awful in relation to that.  But then
again...

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 10:25:46AM -0800, Jim Gasek wrote:
> Abolish it, the changing of clocks.  Unnecessary.  I don't care
> which one people choose.  Who even says "8am" is a start time?  Or
> 5pm an end time?

Then there's this.  I do actually favor abolishing time zones
entirely.  Just use GMT everywhere.  Thanks to the pandemic, many
businesses which already had 24x7 operations are getting used to the
idea that their employees don't necessarily need to work a fixed
schedule to be productive.  Time is arbitrary, even if the passage of
it is not.  I work roughly 15:00 - 23:00 with a fair amount of
variance, regardless of what the Sun is doing to the Earth's surface.
Probably can't happen, at least in America.  We couldn't even get
people to switch to SI measurement units...

-=-=-=-=-