[Discuss] nfs in virtual machines

Matthew Gillen me at mattgillen.net
Thu Oct 21 21:19:16 EDT 2021

On 10/21/2021 1:35 AM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 00:11:12 -0400
> Matthew Gillen <me at mattgillen.net> wrote:
>
>> The guest VM is set up for NAT.
>> Any ideas on where to look or things to try?
>
> Probably NAT making RPC unhappy. Simple solution: don't use NFS.

That would be a fix, but I have a lot more disk space on my server.

> More complex solution: either get rid of NAT or you tune your firewall
> traversal rules and rpcbind configurations to play nice with each
> other. Or use Samba instead.

I suppose I could try bridged networking for that one.  Since the VM
host is windows, I don't want to hurt my brain by learning how to tune
the windows firewall.  I was wondering if someone would suggest a fancy
new network FS, didn't expect samba :-)

Of course as soon as I ask for help it goes a whole night without doing
it once...  Gotta love heisen-bugs.

To answer Mark's question, no, the hypervisor is under virtually no load.

Thanks,
Matt