[Discuss] Aptitude Test or Family Feud?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Oct 26 17:26:21 EDT 2021

On 10/26/21 1:42 PM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
> That's bizarre. It's kind of the opposite of an adaptive test, where you
> get more credit for knowing the difficult answers than for knowing the easy
> ones.

They are looking for people who fit in? Certainly not looking for those
who gravitate to and spot boundary cases, for those people are
troublemakers.

> For those of you who have never taken an adaptive test, it's a
> computer-administered multiple choice test that gets a good idea of your
> knowledge of a field with far fewer questions than a standard multiple
> choice test. Basically, you get progressively more difficult questions
> until you miss one, then a series of questions that are somewhere near the
> same level as the one you missed to more accurately determine your level.
I can see how the approach is efficient. But is seems it is so
concentrated, there is little redundancy, that any, say, dyslexic noise
in the system could drop a score a lot.

Google does an early stage job interview that seems to be on the same model.

-kb, the Kent who didn't get the job and knows how to hold a grudge.