[Discuss] Aptitude Test or Family Feud?

Shirley Márquez Dúlcey mark at buttery.org
Tue Oct 26 16:42:11 EDT 2021

That's bizarre. It's kind of the opposite of an adaptive test, where you
get more credit for knowing the difficult answers than for knowing the easy
ones.

For those of you who have never taken an adaptive test, it's a
computer-administered multiple choice test that gets a good idea of your
knowledge of a field with far fewer questions than a standard multiple
choice test. Basically, you get progressively more difficult questions
until you miss one, then a series of questions that are somewhere near the
same level as the one you missed to more accurately determine your level.
Tests are usually looking at more than one area of expertise, so the
process is done for each one that the test covers.

The adaptive test is calibrated by giving the full non-adaptive test to a
substantial number of people and determining the patterns of the scores
that people get on each question and the correlations between results on
questions. With that data in hand, an adaptive test with very high
correlation to the results on the full test can be designed. Testing time
can be reduced by 75% with very little loss of accuracy.