[Discuss] Debian keeps asking for root password for maintenance

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 14:52:22 EST 2022

Over the weekend I upgraded my home server. New hardware, same storage
drives, new OS drive (cloned from the old drive). Everything has been
working for a few days but now it keeps asking for the root password
for maintenance every boot. It appears to be happening at the switch
from runlevel S (startup) to runlevel 2 (normal). I plug in a keyboard
and type Ctrl-D and it boots normally so it's not anything like a
faulty filesystem requiring repair.

Any clues what the problem is or what I inadvertently changed to cause
this behavior?

--