[Discuss] Debian keeps asking for root password for maintenance

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:07:16 EST 2022

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 14:52:22 -0500
Rich Pieri <Richard.Pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any clues what the problem is or what I inadvertently changed to cause
> this behavior?

A thing I found:

$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.10.0-11-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/marller--vg-root
ro quiet single

So it's picking up single user mode from somewhere which partially
answers the question "why?". But I don't have this in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet consoleblank=0 acpi=off"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

But it's definitely getting into my grub.cfg when I re-run update-grub.

linux   /vmlinuz-5.10.0-11-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/marller--vg-root ro
single

So the current question is: where is this coming from?

--