[HH] web cams as security cameras

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 13:15:49 EDT 2011

Shankar Viswanathan wrote:
> One thing I have heard about using webcams as security cams is
> reliability. Consumer grade webcams aren't generally designed for 24/7
> operation...

That's sad if a device with no software and no high wattage CPU can't
hold up to 24/7 operation.

I have a couple of bottom-end TRENDnet IP cameras that tended to
overheat and crash, but they had a CPU and ran Linux. (These cameras
were dirt cheap and still not worth what I paid for them. I missed the
retailer's return window, and they've since bricked themselves. Thus I
refer to them in the past-tense.)

> He uses the 'motion' package to do motion detection...
> He's quite happy with the results, with two caveats:
> Any large vehicles passing by on the street during the daytime also
> triggers the motion detect.

'motion' is supposed to be a "cutting edge" solution for this, and he
has it running on a device that outperforms most IP cameras, which seems
to suggest that software-based motion detection just isn't practical
yet. (Though perhaps there are expensive commercial packages that do a
better job.)

I had no end of problems with with software-based motion detection
built-in to my IP cameras, and ended up attaching a passive IR motion
detector to the GPIO input port on my camera that supports that. This
has worked perfectly with zero false alarms.

Makes you wonder why IP camera vendors can't be bothered to spend $2 or
$3 for a built-in PIR sensor. Panasonic does it.

Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> Curtains.

I struggled with the curtain solution too. Using something light
diffusing, but not light blocking.

It didn't resolve the false motion triggers, but did compensate for the
poor automatic white balance, which used to cause the camera to
completely wash out when there was full sun coming through the window.