[HH] Artisan's Asylum's "makerspace" Public Opening

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Sat Dec 3 23:55:14 EST 2011

> Federico Lucifredi wrote:
>> I have been taking the "advanced Metalworking" class there...
>
> That's too bad you didn't mention it here. That's the class that most
> interests me, and it would have been fun to know someone in the class. I
> see it is running again in January.

I think they want more benches built. It is a good class, okay value for the money, not too expensive, not "cheap".

Maybe I will take the class a second time if they let me build my own table as the project - can't really build anything without a welding table and some jigs. We'll see.

> The TIG course also intrigues me. But requires more costly equipment.

MIG is the way to go: good welds that you can still manage in your garage and quickly. TIG is the way to make pretty welds and take a long time in the process.  It does not matter if you are going to grind down the weld anyway.

> I'd be happy just to find a reference to a local scrap metal dealer
> where you can *buy* random bits of scrap, rather than sell it. The stock
> you find at the hardware store makes most projects cost prohibitive.
> (Unless it can be built from electrical conduit, which is about the only
> building steel you can find at a hardware store for a reasonable price.)

AA orders metal from a local supplier at $2/foot for mild steel - the supplier delivers to their loading dock for orders of 120$ and up, and I am pretty sure you could arrange to tack your order to one of theirs.

> Likewise, I probably wouldn't get enough value out of a membership, but
> having access to a CNC mill and other equipment you'd never fit into a
> home shop for $15/day is a steal.

The Sprouts also has a Bridgeport, which is my favorite mill. Not had need of a CNC yet.

> (Do they have a box brake and a shear for doing sheet metal work?)

Good question, I need a bending brake myself. I will look.

Best -F

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi at acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C