[HH] Artisan's Asylum's "makerspace" Public Opening

Kurt Keville kkeville at MIT.EDU
Sun Dec 4 08:02:05 EST 2011

-snip-

> What was the parking like? (Being a suburbanite, parking is always top
> of mind. :-) )

Very good... if you look on Google Maps, all of those lots on Tyler st. go with the building...

>> I think what these guys have going for them is location and anchor
>> tenants...
>
> Anchor tenants? Can you elaborate?

SCUL, if you are familiar with them, appears to be renting 4000 sq ft or thereabouts... that represents a pretty healthy, steady volume of bicycle repair...

Well, Somerville is second only to NYC in artist density ... (seriously, http://www.somervillema.gov/about-somerville) so I would have to say it was probably 90% artists ... I know there are some folks who have a business there but yeah, lots of artists... people who would classify themselves as artists rather than something else at any rate...

> (Do they have a box brake and a shear for doing sheet metal work?)

Very impressive metal shop... brakes and various Bridgeports etc... they may have pictures up by today...