[HH] Amahi

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:48:02 EST 2011

Kurt Keville wrote:
> I saw a bunch of Home Automation products built around PlugComputers at
> the Marvell PlugIN a year or so ago... http://www.amahi.org/ was one of
> them...

Amahi seems to cover a lot of functionality - a bit of a kitchen sink.
But it seems to primarily be about being a home storage server with some
bits glued on for media access, like DLNA.

I didn't see anything relating to home automation in their feature list.
A search does turn up a few forum threads, such as:
http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3181

and that they have ZoneMinder packed for it. Aside from that it sounds
like you are on your own to integrate. Not much of a leg-up versus using
any random Linux distribution.

Also disappointing to see their "storage pool" uses Samba. No one yet
seems to have created a good architecture for low-maintenance home storage.

> I think you need a halfway decent wireless system in your house
> for this class of products...

In what sense? Coverage? Speed?

Wouldn't pretty much everyone on this list have that problem tackled
already?