[HH] Internet connectivity watchdog timer

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:21:28 EDT 2011

Brough Turner wrote:
> If your budget extends to $109 or so, there are commercial solutions
> that would likely meet your need.  We use a Web Power Switch from
> Digital Loggers Inc. at several sites.  They have an auto-ping feature
> which can power cycle specific outlets (up to 8 separately addressible
> outlets) under various conditions.  See:
>    http://www.digital-loggers.com/autoping.html

That looks like a nice solution, and more flexible than the Trip Lite
approach, as individual outlets can be controlled, each with their own
ping target. It also supports startup delays. And it looks like you can
also opt to run more complex code elsewhere, and communicate with the
PDU via URLs. Nice.

The price is also more than fair for what it does, but I don't think I
can get my hands on one in the time frame I have. (I'm currently a bit
out in the boonies in Eastern Canada until the end of the week. Amazon
Canada *might* be able to get the Trip Lite UPS to me by the end of the
week, which doesn't leave much time to get the software working. Doesn't
look like they carry the Web Power Switch (US Amazon does).)

Thanks for the tip. I might get one of these for my main servers.