[HH] Internet connectivity watchdog timer

Stephen Ronan sronan at panix.com
Mon Oct 24 14:15:24 EDT 2011

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Jack Coats wrote:

> I use a Web Power Switch from digital-dataloggers.com too.
> Some friends that are admins at watkins.edu where they use them
> extensively.  The autoping does well, but the folks at
> Watkins.edu have some of their prior generation strips also and
> control them from some servers running perl scripts to do the
> monitoring. ... I would rather have a cheaper DIY solution, but
> the Web Power Switch is great and pretty much bullet proof.

I had gotten wary of the Web Power Switch after one of the first
two I had used failed at an early age. Good to know others have
had success with them.

I have gotten many years of good use from a Western Telematic Inc
Remote Power Boot Switch (RPB+) controlled by scripts on an
old laptop connected to it with a serial cable and have at least
one that I don't expect to ever use that I'd be glad to give to
anyone who might have use for it (pick up in Boston).
http://www.wti.com/guides/rpbpguid.pdf

    -Stephen