[HH] Repairing LCD monitor

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:48:52 EDT 2011

Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> My ViewSonic VS11446 22" monitor likes to go completely black very
> frequently.

I have a VIZIO 32" LCD TV (VO320E) that recently developed similar
symptoms. But in this case the entire set powers down, so I think it is
a power supply component that is overheating ad failing.

> I've turned down the brightness to the lowest usable level which
> seems to have helped some (making it stay lit for longer periods like
> 10 minutes)...

I should try that and see if it affects the run time.

> I've found a couple of places to get an inverter, but they don't list
> ViewSonic, so if you know how to source the part aside from taking apart
> the monitor?

A lot of replacement parts are sold on eBay (for example, both power
supplies and main boards for the TV above can be found there), and the
merchants are pretty good about listing the applicable product model
numbers so as to attract more buyers. I wouldn't want to rely on an eBay
merchant's claim that X inverter works in Y monitor, but lacking better
sources of information, it can be another data point.

> XFORMER INVERTER TLT-1503 15/2000Ts 0.1*20/0.0 but again that
> doesn't seem to prod google into giving me a retail part number.

TLT-1503 sounds promising as an inverter manufacturer's part number.
Device manufacturers (TV, monitor), if they bother, tend to use all
numeric part numbers for their "house numbers" when they integrate 3rd
party sub-assemblies.

Try an electronics search engine?
http://octopart.com/partsearch/#search/requestData&q=TLT-1503
(no match)

Does the service manual give the specs for the inverter?