[HH] New products at adafruit

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:24:03 EDT 2012

adafruit (http://www.adafruit.com), an online store for Arduino kits and
other electronics, has a video demoing some of their new products:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4hW3LFTPsY&feature=youtu.be&a

It's mildly interesting. They cover a finger print reader peripheral for
an Arduino, a Bluetooth controlled extension cord (mentioned here after
it was announced at CES), level shifters, transistors, diodes, and a
convenient carry case for your in-progress Arduino project.

It's a bit comforting to see that classics like the 1N4001 diode and the
2N2222 transistor are still as popular today as they were back in the
80's when I first started playing with them. Some basics don't go out of
style, it seems.

There was some brief discussion of the merits of the 2N2222 vs. the
2N3904, but the interesting bit was the tangential conversation when
they talked about the Bluetooth controlled extension cord. One person
commented it could be controlled by just about anything that speaks
Bluetooth, due to it using the Bluetooth audio profile, but it wouldn't
work with an Arduino. Another person chimed in that they (adafruit) were
  working on bringing Bluetooth capabilities to the Arduino.

I didn't now there were challenges in getting Bluetooth working on
embedded systems. Let me guess...the standard is proprietary and licensed?