[HH] rust removal

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 21:48:07 EDT 2012

What's your preferred product for chemical rust removal?

I've yet to try something that has really done the job satisfactorily.

Last product I tried was:
http://www.krudkutter.com/index.php?option=com_products&task=product&pid=17&Itemid=65

which is a remover and inhibitor. I found it did a poor job of removal,
and I'd prefer to have removal and inhibiting as two separate products,
as I often want one or the other, or want to do several courses of
removal first, and finish with an inhibitor.

I've also used rust converters, like:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81773-Treatment-Filler-Compatible/dp/B000HBNX38/

on many occasions, and they work OK, but it's clearly an inhibitor and
not a removal product.

I've used "Naval Jelly" and similar products:
http://www.amazon.com/Henkel-553472-Loctite-Dissolver-16-Ounce/dp/B000C016OC/

which are advertised to be removers, but haven't been that impressed.

I see Krud Kutter has a formulation that is strictly a remover:
http://www.krudkutter.com/index.php?option=com_products&task=product&pid=18&Itemid=65

but I haven't tried it. I'm considering trying this next:

Evapo-Rust Rust Remover
http://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Rust-Remover-1-Qt/dp/B001BNZGY0/

which seems to have good reviews.