[HH] Controlling multiple outlets from multiple remotes

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 03:31:56 EDT 2012

David Kramer wrote:
> X10 has turned out to not be reliable enough...

Heh. No surprise there. I guess you've been lucky elsewhere in your house.

I've found RF X10 to be more reliable than power line carrier X10, so
that would be an option. For example, you surface-mount a battery
operated wall switch like:
http://www.x10.com/automation/ss13a_s.html?TWENTY11

It it controls an RF receiver with built-in relay module (TM751A):
http://www.x10wirelesshome.com/modules/x10_wireless_transceiver_tm751.html

(I don't see any mention of a relay on that page, so I'd recommend
digging deeper to confirm that if you want to run a CFL with it.)

I've used an older version of these components along with a wireless
motion detector to control a pair of 2-bulb 4' fluorescent shop lights
in my basement. Reliability has been moderate. Even just sending a
signal across a 15' room has been somewhat of a challenge for the wall
switch. (I hacked it and added an external antenna wire, which helped
the reliability.) The newer model might prove better in this area.

But you mention you want to control 3 lights. In theory, you could add
lamp (or relay) modules for the other two lamps, and with the source and
receiver of the power line carrier transmission being physically close,
it may work reliably. That's assuming you aren't contending with some
active power line noise source (like a switching power supply) or that
the different outlets in the room aren't oddly placed on different
phases of the electrical system.

> What would be the next step up (ie still affordable) technology to try,
> and where would be a good place to get it?

I'd like to say Z-Wave, but battery operated, surface mount switches
like the X-10 one above are near non-existent for Z-Wave. I'm not sure
why, as they are quite useful. I do a search for them about once every 6
months. First viable option I ran across was this $130 Cooper switch,
that looks close to a stock "Decora" style switch and can mount in a
standard electrical box (or not; not clear if it surface mounts, but it
does say it doesn't have to use a wall box):
http://store.homeseer.com/store/Cooper-RF9500-Z-Wave-Battery-Operated-Switch-Dimmer-Controller-P552.aspx

More recently I ran across this $50 GE switch:
http://www.amazon.com/45631-Z-Wave-Wireless-Lighting-Controller/dp/B003OUWABU/

which has buttons to control 4 devices, and also mounts in a standard
electrical box or can be surface mounted.

It seems like a decent option, even if not in the same price range as
the X-10 stuff. You do get greater reliability, as noted by the reviews
on that page.

If you value money more than your time, there are some hack options to
create a battery operated Z-Wave switch. For the internal guts you'd use
an $8 Intermatic remote:
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-HA09C-Settings-Wireless-Control/dp/B000BRMMDK/

and pair that up with one or more SPDT momentary switches:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=leviton+spdt+momentary&cid=10707740639939791084&ei=upKWTPqzGY3-2ASE_ODWDQ&sa=title&ved=0CB4Q8wIwBDgA#p

though at $20+ each, that sort of kills any cost savings. Hacking a $1
3-way switch from the hardware store with some springs, or using a
non-Decora style momentary switch would be cheaper.

You also need to leave some budget for a surface mount enclosure, unless
you plan to stuff it all into an electrical box in the wall.

Really, the only sure fire way to save money would be to Velcro the
Intermatic remote to the wall as-is. :-)

There may be similar products for Insteon, which I don't follow.

> I thought of doing hard-wired two-way switches, but it would require
> running wires along the base of her closet door, and I'm afraid the
> monsters would chew on them.

Another option to consider, if you don't need remote control beyond the
one switch location, is hard-wired low-voltage. That way you can run
small (or even flat) "bell" wire between the switch and the relay. You
could use a stock Decora switch(es) in a wall box or surface mount box.
What's less clear is what is available on the relay side. It's pretty
trivial to wire up a small power supply and relay circuit, but I'm not
aware of any off the shelf part like a lamp module with a couple of
screw terminals for the low voltage switch. (Like an X-10 PowerFlash,
which is close, but lacks the relay part.) You'd think someone would
make such a product.

Here's a $30 module that's close:
http://www.prolighting.com/pp-sh.html?gclid=CNKC1IyQ7rECFYLb4AodhhQAGA

It combines a relay to switch high voltage and a 24 V power supply, but
it has pigtail leads. It isn't packaged like a lamp module.