[HH] Resend: DD-WRT 'Client Mode' 'Client Bridge' with Atheros chips

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:58:24 EDT 2012

Phil C. wrote:
> I really wasn't sure there might be people experienced with Linux
> wireless distros, but I received one reply already.

Yeah, there are several of us here, and probably a few more on the main
BLU list, who run 3rd party firmware on routers. This sort of thing is
exactly what the Hardware Hacker list was created for.

I'm glad Kurt had at least some advice to offer. I ran DD-WRT for a year
or so before switching to Tomato, and although I've looked over the
guides for setting up a bridge, I've never attempted it. As you found,
there seems to be some conflicting info. And lots of reports of people
having problems getting it to work.

> I haven't gotten any replies on the DD-WRT forum, which is hard to
> believe.

I've had similar results there. The Tomato community is pretty decent,
but possibly more fractured. I use the TomatoUSB variant, and there are
at least a few different sites where it is discussed.

You might want to try posting to:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?forum/

They have a DD-WRT forum and a bunch of others, some of which might be
applicable. (The Tomato forums there may even be more active than the
ones at the http://tomatousb.org/ site. 66K messages. Many of the same
devs hang out there. I don't follow linksysinfo.org, but data mine there
on occasion.)

The OpenWRT forums:
https://forum.openwrt.org/

would be another place to try. There's a lot of overlap, but if OpenWRT
doesn't claim to support the hardware you are using, it may take some
skill to determine what advice they offer is applicable.

It's always worth looking over the HOWTO guides and wikis of the
competing distributions when you run into a dead-end using the material
provided for the distribution you are using.