[HH] hardware hacker gift guides

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 22:16:15 EST 2012

Several sites have come out with gift guides aimed at hardware hackers.
I've listed the links below, along with a handful of items from each list.
 -Tom

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/11/28/electronic-gifts-from-the-maker-shed/

Mintyboost
Bare Conductive ink
Squishy Circuits
Blinky POV
Super TV-B-Gone Kit
Supercap Racer Kit

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/category/gift-guides/
(Adafruit has a whole slew of gift guides organized into several
categories.)

games:
SpaceChem by Zachtronics Industries

books:
Makers: The New Industrial Revolution by Chris Anderson
Getting Started with Arduino By Massimo Banzi
Programming Arduino, by Simon Monk
Programming the Raspberry Pi: Getting Started with Python

general hardware:
Adafruit ARDX - v1.3 Experimentation Kit for Arduino
Raspberry Pi Starter Pack
littleBits
Minty Boost Kit v3.0
FLORA GPS Starter Pack

ARM hardware:
Arduino Due
Teensy 3.0
Raspberry Pi (they have a whole guide dedicated to Pi stuff)
Adafruit Prototyping Pi Plate Kit for Raspberry Pi

RF hardware:
Freakduino

PCB Fabrication:
Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station

Reverse Engineering:
GoodFET - An open source JTAG adapter
Ubertooth One - Bluetooth Sniffer
Bus Pirate - An open-source, multi-tool, universal bus interface
Digital Storage Oscilloscope - DS1052E
DSO Nano v2 - Pocket-size color digital oscilloscope

Robotics:
Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver - I2C interface - PCA9685
RoboBrrd by RoboGrrl
Hexy the Hexapod from ArcBotics
OLLO and BIOLOID STEM kits from Robotis

Tools:
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/11/26/adafruit-holiday-gift-guide-2012-tools/
Multimeters, soldering stations, oscilloscopes, microscopes, and hand
tools (a variety of recommendations for entry-level, intermediate, and pro).
Saleae's Logic 8 I2C, SPI, I2S, etc. bus analyzer
Beagle USB 12 Protocol Analyzer

(phew...a lot of stuff in their guides, and each items is accompanied by
a mini-review.)

Top ten open source gifts for the holidays
http://opensource.com/life/12/11/top-ten-open-source-gifts-holidays

Raspberry Pi
Arduino
MaKey MaKey
BeagleBone
Flora
MintyBoost

(As you can see, everyone seems to like the MintyBoost (battery and
regulator in a mint tin). I guess because it is broadly useful and easy
to build.)