[HH] Boston Linux Meeting - Building an ARM Laptop with Raspberry Pi

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 23:42:33 EST 2012

> Federico then demonstrated his "first draft" of a portable workstation
> based on the Pi:
> -it uses a clear plastic enclosure;
> -mini USB keyboard and mouse;
> -and a 7" LCD monitor (TV) with RCA composite input.

I think someone asked during the talk whether the Model A could have
been used for this. As it only has one USB port, it would require the
addition of a hub.

> His second draft design used:
> -a black plastic case to match the other components;
> -a Motorola Atrix 3 phone dock, purchased on eBay for $35, repurposed as
> a keyboard, touchpad, and screen for the Pi.
>
> ...Federico noted difficulty in sourcing the HDMI
> and USB cables with the right gender...

Seems like the obvious next step is for someone to produce a 3D printed
enclosure for the Pi that is designed to exactly mate with the dock.

It could be bundled in a kit with custom cables, or - because all the
fragile and ugly cabling would be hidden - use hand-made cables inside
the box.