[HH] [Discuss] build my own cell phone

Kurt Keville kkeville at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 19 13:01:34 EST 2012

I'm still looking for a way to build a cheap navigation unit which
could get "voicemail service" through an ad hoc network as a side
benefit. Some of that functionality you can already find in a number
of smartphones already; defaulting to an Open WiFi AP when it finds
one to save you on your Verizon minutes for instance. So I don't
think this will be all that much of a dev effort. This almost
certainly has to have been done before, but I can't find it on
Shouldabeen or HalfBakery...

I'm pretty sure you can use cell towers for navigation even if you
don't have a service plan because of the requirement placed on
CellCos to offer emergency phone calls. So you should be able to get
AGPS for free, right?

Again, I don't know how much like a phone this thing would look like.
To get all that functionality into a single box, I assume we are
starting with Linux instead of Android...