[HH] Raspberry Pi bits

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 18:20:08 EDT 2012

Various bits of Raspberry Pi news from the mainstream tech news. I
haven't been following the Raspberry Pi blog, so I expect all of this
will be old news to anyone who is.

Raspberry Pi ramps up production, lifts purchase limit
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/17/3163736/raspberry-pi-ramps-up-production-lifts-purchase-limit?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

  ...orders were limited to one per customer due to demand. As of today,
  that's all over -- users can order as many of the tiny machines as
  they'd like. The change is driven to an increase in production
  capacity: according to a recent blog post, 4,000 units of the "model
  B" Pi are being manufactured every single day. That's not to say the
  device will be shipping immediately -- new orders are currently
  projected to arrive in September...

Hardware Hacks: The Raspberry Pi is everywhere
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Hardware-Hacks-The-Raspberry-Pi-is-everywhere-1643162.html

  Hardware Hacks is a new section on The H that collects stories about
  interesting uses of open hardware...

  FishPi - ...an unmanned, autonomous boat controlled by a Raspberry Pi.
  The solar powered FishPi is being designed with the goal of being
  able to cross the Atlantic Ocean all by itself.

  Raspberry Pi in space - Raspberry Pi founder Eben Upton...envisions
  the mini-computer being used in sounding rockets, experimental
  balloons and even satellites.

  Pi Cobbler - ...Adafruit...has released the Pi Cobbler...lets hackers
  run the Raspberry Pi's 26 I/O ports to a solderless breadboard that
  makes it easier to prototype hardware projects involving the
  mini-computer.

Looks like an ongoing series of blog posts about using Perl on the Pi:

Perl DBD::ODBC on the Raspberry Pi
http://www.martin-evans.me.uk/node/144

  I got my Raspberry Pi a week ago and wrote up my first impressions
  about the RP and whether it would work to get our children programming
  at Raspberry Pi - will it get our children programming? and if so why
  not in Perl?