[HH] Raspberry PI - It's alive!

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Tue Jun 12 17:16:32 EDT 2012

On Jun 10, 2012, at 4:05 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> Federico Lucifredi wrote:
>> just got a Raspberry Pi last week...
>
> So which distributor did you end up ordering it from?

Element 14 was the fullfillment party. The box is on the cheapish side compared to the RS ones I see out there, but since the board arrived in one piece, I don't mind :)

> Any initial impressions that differed from your expectations set by the
> volumes of videos and articles?

I was afraid it would be a slower device thatn it has turned out to be so far.  I also had my doubts about using a TV over HDMI as a video for a terminal, but it works well enough so far… I am not blind yet 8)

>> The ones to be shipped by Nokia will be out in 3 weeks according to
>> the latest estimates.
>
> They're using Nokia as a contract manufacturer?

No, Nokia ran a program where they paid for 200+ developers to get their boards. Unfortunately the foundation's logistics seem to have gummed up on this (to put it politely - people are downright angry. Funny how things work out). The Nokia team was rather embarrassed about it, especially  not being something they have control of, but it looks like they finally got the foundation to allocate some boards to ship at the end of June to the program selectees.

Best -Federico

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi at acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C