[HH] 3D printing

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Sun Mar 4 12:34:10 EST 2012

I have been watching these things for years, but unfortunately the tech is
still novelty grade.

Here is the problem: The cost of the tool is much higher than anything it
can produce. With all other tools the value proposition is the other way
around. You buy a $300 set of wrenches and a $50 book to save thousands in
auto-repair costs. You don't spend thousands of dollars in tools to fix
one or two small plastic gears.

Unless and until the value proposition gets inverted it will remain a
nerd-only curiosity. Yes, I want one, it would be cool, but they need to
bring more to the table to justify the expense.