[HH] NeTV: open source Google TV hardware?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Thu Mar 8 14:52:42 EST 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill Bogstad wrote:
>> ...it actually handles [HDCP protected] as well.
>> Sweet!
>
> Doesn't that represent a big hole in the HDCP protected security model
> then? Isn't the point of HDCP protected to prevent video decoding on
> non-compliant devices that could be used to record the video?
>
> If the NeTV supports it, then supposedly that means it has access to the
> pixels and be modified to capture them.

It does, but YOU don't.   From what I've read about other products
that do this, you have access to modify the bits in a graphics overlay
plane.  Your overlay plane and the decrypted HDMI signal are merged in
a hardware component and then HDCP is slapped back onto the outgoing
HDMI signal.   You never have access to unencrypted graphics bits from
the incoming HDMI signal.  IMO, it's a neat hack.

Bill Bogstad