[HH] NeTV: open source Google TV hardware?

Thomas Sohmers trsohmers at mit.edu
Thu Mar 8 15:53:27 EST 2012

It's actually a lot different from the current Google TV hardware... the
released GTVs have 1.6ghz Intel Atom (x86) processors, and are heavily
locked down... It took 15 months to root the Sony GTV, and Sony issued a
patch a week later, while Logitech has pretty much abandoned their GTV, and
is rootable... you need to have an unpatched device, and you have to solder
a UART port to the motherboard.

The new Google TV devices announced at CES are now ARM based, and are 1ghz
dual core, so this is a lot less powerful... I also have a jailbroken Gen2
AppleTV that we can experiment with if you want.

Thomas Sohmers
Hacker, Inventor, Programmer
http://www.trsohmers.com