[HH] Opening a skull (on topic, honest!)

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Tue May 1 15:25:14 EDT 2012

Ok, so here's the background.

After many years of software and Linux tinkering I finally got into
Arduino for hardware tinkering.  As I usually do when learning a new
software language, I pick a 'big' project and give myself plenty of time
to work on it - the thinking is that starting big I can break the
project down into small parts that I can figure out separately.

My Arduino project is a Halloween skull.  Ideally, I'd like:

- motion sensor to activate when someone is nearby and cause the jaws to
open and shut quickly
- LED eyes that glow brighter the darker it gets (I already have this
working)
- sounds (optional, probably add a sound shield)

My problem is the first item.  The jaw is held in place using two
springs (no other connection exists between the jaw and rest of the
skull).  The tension that's required to open it is too much for the
servo that I have.  I was thinking a linear actuator, but those appear
to be way more expensive than I'd want to spend.  Different springs may
work, but I want the jaw to snap shut thus requiring a good bit of
tension.  I've already got a few PIR sensors I'll use to know when
there's nearby motion to activate.

Any thoughts?

-Mark