[HH] portable oscilloscope

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Tue May 1 16:39:11 EDT 2012

Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> * Not actually 4 channels.  2 O-scope channels, 2 digital inputs.

Right, I noted that.

> * Distortion is terrible.  72 MS/s is an egregious enough exaggeration
> of something that is technically true that I would be tempted to punch
> their marketing guy in the snoot.

Good to know.

What is the source of the problem? Cheap ADC?

A well built DSO should be able to capture consistently repetitive
signals that exceed 1/2 its sampling rate. Though in most cases the
whole reason why you are using a scope is to spot anomalies in the
signal, and for that you need your DSO's Nyquist to well exceed your
signal frequency.

What, in your opinion, is the usable bandwidth of this scope?

> * Better than nothing.  Marginally.

I'm sure given time they will get better, but it sounds like they aren't
there yet.

For now, it might be better to spend a bit more for something like:
http://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DS1102E-Oscilloscope-Channels-Sampling/dp/B001VKCJ0M/

or

http://www.amazon.com/Atten-ADS1102CA-Oscilloscope-Channels-Sampling/dp/B0055B4JKG/

Both of which are sub-$500 (if you shop around) 1 GS (100 MHz BW) DSOs.
They appear relatively compact and portable, but they're not handheld.

> * Asylum has one, as well as a pile of the single-channel version.

How about a Rigol or Atten?