[HH] Opening a skull (on topic, honest!)

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Tue May 1 17:19:40 EDT 2012

On 5/1/12 4:53 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> Mark Komarinski wrote:
>> The tension that's required to open it is too much for the
>> servo that I have.  I was thinking a linear actuator...
> A solenoid is the obvious thing that comes to mind:
> http://www.halted.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=13355&czuid=1335905228724
> http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SOL-102/MINIATURE-12VDC-PUSH-TYPE-SOLENOID/1.html
>
> Of course with a solenoid you're pretty much stuck with a fast acting,
> full travel motion. If you want to some day animate the mouth to sync to
> speech or something, then it wouldn't be the right choice.

Ah, a friend gave me one that is in two pieces (the inner shaft can be
removed from the solenoid).  The range of movement was rather small but
after thinking about it may be enough to get the jaw to open.  I'll
fiddle with it a bit more and maybe find a larger servo (thanks Drew).

Expect more stupid questions.

-Mark