[HH] PandaBoard

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:24:15 EDT 2012

Federico Lucifredi wrote:
>> I'm not sure where Pandaboard fits in. I'm guessing this is driven by a
>> board vendor rather than a CPU vendor. What CPU does it use? (You said
>> it was comparable to the BeagleBoard, so I assume an ARM variation.)
> It is a TI ARM, but a cortex 9. Same dynamics as the BeagleBoard
> project, but for some reason they started another community around
> the other chip.

Ah, at the bottom of http://pandaboard.org/ it says "TI is a sponsor of
the PandaBoard project," so another demo board to show off a CPU.

> [At Canonical] we default to PandaBoards as a way to have access to
> cheap Cortex-9 hardware.  As I mentioned, Canonical considers ARM a
> full citizen for the platform…so we need hardware to poke at :)

I wondered if that was the case. (Though given the things you talked
about working on at Canonical, I figured ARM development would be
happening in other, distant departments.)

That looks like a relatively high-end ARM board. If you want to do your
users a favor, have your developers live with the pain of using
something more average, so they'll be motivated to keep the code speedy. :-)