[HH] Soldering iron recommendations

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Tue May 29 17:42:50 EDT 2012

Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> For fine-pitch stuff, you need a better iron...

I've been meaning to ask the list for recommendations on irons. What are
features you look for in an iron and why are they important?

I've been using the same simple, unregulated Ungar fixed wattage (33 or
45 W - don't remember) iron with a micro chisel tip since I was a kid.

(Here are some vendor pictures:
http://www.elexp.com/sdr_7400.htm )

(I'm not sure Ungar is even still in business. Probably bought and
merged into one of the other companies.)

For the most part, it doesn't leave me desiring additional
functionality. I've successfully used it to solder parts with a pitch
finder than 0.1".

My understanding is that regulation is important with more sensitive SMD
parts so you don't overheat them. And newer irons specifically minimize
electrostatic discharge (ESD) with their designs.

Professionally I used a 2-piece Weller soldering station, like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weller-WTCPS-Soldering-Station-Base-unit-fits-TC201-tools-Power-Supply-/120922482958
 or:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3348441

which has regulated (fixed, I believe in the model I used) temperature
and ESD protection. But I always found the manufacturer supplied tips to
be rather large and clumsy. (Never bothered to order alternatives, which
I'm sure are available.)

Back when I was using them, they were quite expensive. Now Weller has
similar (more hobby quality) models for $50:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/WELLER-WLC100-/21-3475

And now there are a slew of similar products from lesser known vendors
in the same price range. MCM regularly has one of their house brand
(Tenma) stations on sale for $50 or less with even more features, such
as this digitally controlled model:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-21-10115-/21-10115

What concerns me about these off brands is the availability of tips. Not
just selection available at the time you buy the iron, but the longevity
of the supply. (Especially with rebranded stuff, like Tenma, where you
may never know the real manufacturer. If they claimed to be tip
compatible with Weller, it would solve it, but they don't.)

Even Radio Shack has a Digital Soldering Station on sale for $70 this week:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3132686

So what is to be gained from an upgrade?