[HH] AMD to make 64-bit ARM CPUs

Shankar Viswanathan shankar.viswan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 00:55:17 EDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Kurt Keville <kkeville at mit.edu> wrote:
> The verbage from the press release was a bit misleading. I think this is a new non-x86 design. Opteron is a trade name, doesn't imply an architecture, AFAIK.

That is correct - Opteron is the brand name for the server chip
products. What this announcement means is that there will be two types
of Opteron products going forward: AMD64 based ones and a new line of
ARM64 based Opterons. I would have preferred that we used a new brand
name for the ARM64 server chips, but what do I know about marketing?
;-)

I can see how the press release language could be interpreted as
meaning that there will be both AMD64 and ARM64 CPU cores in the same
chip, but that is not the case. Will heterogeneous core designs like
that happen in the future? Maybe ... depending on customer demand for
such a product and the software stack to support it.

-Shankar
(Most definitely not speaking for AMD)