[HH] AMD to make 64-bit ARM CPUs

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Fri Nov 2 11:28:13 EDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Shankar Viswanathan
<shankar.viswan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Kurt Keville <kkeville at mit.edu> wrote:
>> The verbage from the press release was a bit misleading. I think this is a new non-x86 design. Opteron is a trade name, doesn't imply an architecture, AFAIK.
>

> I can see how the press release language could be interpreted as
> meaning that there will be both AMD64 and ARM64 CPU cores in the same
> chip, but that is not the case. Will heterogeneous core designs like
> that happen in the future? Maybe ... depending on customer demand for
> such a product and the software stack to support it.

I wasn't thinking about a single chip heterogeneous CPU myself.
Rather, I was thinking about whether ARM CPUs will be built to fit
into Socket F, G34, or C32 motherboards.  Admittedly multi-core CPUs
have significantly reduced the need for multi-socket systems, but I
could imagine a multi-socket system with both X86 and ARM CPUs in
different sockets.

Bill Bogstad