[HH] WWVB repeater or emulator

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Thu Nov 15 07:35:23 EST 2012

On 11/13/2012 06:04 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> I have several clocks in my house (and a watch) that all set their time
>> using the 60 kHz radio broadcast time signal originating from Fort
>> Collins, Colorado (callsign WWVB).
> You can listen to what this signal sounds like here:
> http://www.rescueelectronics.com/WWVB.html
>
> or here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m5AT67Apvs
>

> You can find receivers for the signal here (though this one is no longer
> sold by Sparkfun):
> https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10060
>

>> In any case, I've periodically searched online to see if anyone has
>> built a circuit that either acts as a repeater for the WWVB signal, or
>> emulates it, using a GPS receiver or Internet NTP server as a time
>> source.
> I've ran across this thread before:
> http://www.radiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=62837
>
> which suggests building a large coil as a passive field concentrator.
> Others in the thread suggested creating an attic antenna, wiring it to a
> preamp, and then inductively coupling the output to your clock (i.e.
> running a few loops of wire around the clock's frame).
>
> Neither approach sounds like it would be effective if you want to boost
> the signal to multiple devices spread throughout a house.
>

> This thread shows a design for a 60 KHz transmitter driven by a micro:
> http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?11305-60-khz-Transmitter
>
> This ntp mailing list posting:
> http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2011-June/029763.html
>
> asking about an NTP->WWVB emulator points to a commercial product:
> http://www.c-max-time.com/home/index.php
>
> which costs $487, and is listed as discontinued by Digikey. The vendor
> has other similar products, but no pricing or distributor information.
> They look expensive. But at least this proves it is a viable idea.
>

>> ...a graduate student project to build a repeater.
> I think this is the paper (Google Quick View):
>
> Self-Powered Repeater for Radio Controlled Clocks
> https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:TZugYGZ-V38J:courses.engr.illinois.edu/ece445/projects/fall2010/project3_design_review.pdf+wwvb+repeater&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShH7T398ioCC9AvCDZcsg19K5GXGLi_UWxEfrXpChTdFFV-cJY93myUKG1yON1b4P-F70HpsYJc1dFRKDQXT5CbOV2uiDZ4E3y4SMFiWTtEcf0IyLDzJh5We0jtwTkG9NgOajHR&sig=AHIEtbQmMoopHpA-4JDXb4GO26QJcceKbQ
>
> (Original PDF):
> http://courses.engr.illinois.edu/ece445/projects/fall2010/project3_design_review.pdf
>
> The paper doesn't address how they planned to handle feedback, nor does
> it include complete schematics. It would take some legwork to track down
> the student to see if they actually built it.

I found a couple of places, one in UK the other in CA. I've got the same
problem. My nighttable cl;ock syncs every once in a while, and my watch
always syncs because I leave it on the window sill.
http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7
http://www.canakit.com/wwvb-nist-radio-time-receiver-kit-wrl-10060.html
Out of stock

--