[HH] WWVB repeater or emulator

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:47:52 EST 2012

Jerry Feldman wrote:
>Tom Metro wrote:
>> You can find receivers for the signal here (though this one is no longer
>> sold by Sparkfun):
>> https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10060
>
> I found a couple of places, one in UK the other in CA.
> http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7
> http://www.canakit.com/wwvb-nist-radio-time-receiver-kit-wrl-10060.html
> Out of stock

To clarify, the items you found are WWVB receiver modules, which also
turned up in my searches as tangentially related, but are not repeaters.

They look slightly different, but essentially the same as the one shown
at Sparkfun.

In theory, using one of these receivers on the front-end of a repeater,
and then remodulating the signal, should produce a higher quality output
signal compared to a simple narrow-band amplifier repeater.

But if I have established reception problems, and easily available
alternative time sources, there seems little point in wasting time
finding an optimal location to place a WWVB receiver antenna.

If I had a WWVB emulator using NTP as a time source, it could be
contained in a single box, and placed wherever it is best for coverage
to the clocks in my house.

> I've got the same problem. My night table clock syncs every once in a
> while, and my watch always syncs because I leave it on the window
> sill.

My watch, if left on a windowsill in a high window for a month or so,
will sync. Back when I first bought it, I didn't do anything special
with its placement and it would sync every few days.

Similarly, one of my wall clocks used to sync every few days. Now its
been nearly 2 weeks from the time change and it hasn't received a signal.

Something has changed to degrade the signal.