[HH] Digispark, smallest Arduino?

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:46:37 EDT 2012

Drew Van Zandt wrote:
>Tom Metro wrote:
>> Isn't there an Arduino compatible board even smaller than these?
>> Just a bit bigger than a USB connector.
>
> There's an eight dollar board, USB.  $12 after it's kickstartered, maybe?
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/20/digispark-kickstarter-arduino-jr/

Yeah, that's the one! Aside from being inexpensive, the Digispark looks
to be about a 1/2" square (actually .7" x .75") PCB with a tab sticking
out on one side to form a male USB plug.

Arduinos are starting to approach the size and price of "LED throwies." :-)

Notable that it is fully open source hardware.

Here's the Kickstarter page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digistump/digispark-the-tiny-arduino-enabled-usb-dev-board?ref=home_popular

They've raised $300K on a $5K goal.

The funding period has closed, but it was obviously popular, and will
likely be available for sale directly or via distributors.

No specific availability dates, but the page says it will go into
production shortly after funding closes. (They indicate that the
prototypes are designed and built, but I think that was done before the
funding campaign started.)

I think Federico bought one of these, so we can pick his brain on how
well it works.