[HH] Rethinking LinuxPC Robot -- the Linux PI Robot

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Sun Apr 7 19:24:29 EDT 2013

> 4 R.PI boards =  140$
> El-cheapo switch = $20
> 4 cheap ethernet cables = $20
> 4 USB cables (power) =

> I would buy a cheap (or bundled) motherboard and the best sub-150$ AMD
> cpu
 getting multiple cores at 2+ GHz in the process. .

That's more or less what I have now.

> This seems to
> beat the pants off a cluster of R.PIs speed wise
 not to mention you don't
> have to parallelize as much. And it is a PC, not a cellphone. And it is
> x86.

The PI is roughly equivalent to a fast Intel PIII. It's about as fast and
as much memory as the original 800 MHZ CPU I started with. The real
problem is the I/O demands, currently I am using an Arduino as a sort of
smart I/O card. The PC is still swamped with I/O, especially with the
cameras.

> By the way, I am a fan of your project!

The project is not practical "as is," but is intended as a guide on how to
do your own. The current design is getting quite old and stale. The idea
of having I/O modules which also comprise a "super computer" seems more
cool.