[HH] Raspberry Pi for home automation

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 18:05:26 EDT 2013

As expected, we're starting to see reports of the Raspberry Pi being
used as a home automation controller. (See messages below.)

One company has even made an RPi-specific Z-Wave interface, the RaZberry:

http://razberry.zwave.me/hardware.php
http://razberry.zwave.me/faq.php
  RaZberry turns your Raspberry Pi platform into full featured Z-Wave
  Home Controller. A little daughter board module is just plugged on the
  GPIO of the Rasberry PI board (not blocking a USB port). The Z-Wave
  software Z-Way comes on top of it.

store:
http://www.zwaveproducts.com/Zwave-Controllers/All-In-One-Zwave-Gateways/Z-Wave-Razberry-Pi-GPIO-Daughter-Card.html

It sells for $70. The above daughter card does free up your USB port, as
it connects via the GPIO connector, and sits on top of the Pi, so makes
for a neater packaged solution. Aside from that, it isn't clear what
advantage it offers over more common USB Z-Wave dongles, which also
reportedly work with the Pi.

The downside is that building your network of devices is probably harder
with this daughter card than with an Aeon Labs Z-Wave Z-Stick USB Dongle
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MWQ30E/), which can be removed from the
home automation controller and carried to the device you want to add to
the network. (When Z-Wave devices are in learn mode, they have reduced
transmission power for security reasons, and thus require close physical
proximity.)

All of these dongles pretty much use the same Sigma Designs chips and
supplied firmware. The RaZberry's manufacturer claims they've enhanced
the stock firmware to include some new features:
http://razberry.zwave.me/software.php

They don't include a UI layer, but do include a Z-Wave middleware layer,
which turns the Pi into a Z-Wave "Smart Home Gateway" so other home
automation controllers can access the Z-Wave devices connected to the Pi.

I'd more more inclined to use the open source OpenZwave middleware,
which, according to the messages below, supports this device.

(On a side note, the open source Z-Wave community still seems to be
needlessly held back by Sigma Designs locking down their information
under NDAs. I thought maybe by now they would have wised up, and
recognized the benefits of open documentation outweigh the perceived
costs, but apparently not.)

 -Tom